Thursday 25 April 2019

Accessing Remote Recreational Properties

"So, how long does it take to drive there?" "Can I take the ferry there?"

BC Oceanfront transportation

If there is one thing we know at the BCO office, it's that remote properties mean different things to different people. Whenever someone tells Ed they are looking for remote property, the first thing he works to clarify is just how remote they mean.

Bute Inlet

Phillips Arm

BC Central Coast properties, such as Jervis Inlet, Bute Inlet or Phillips Arm, are logistically the most isolated. These are water access only properties, which can be reached by boat or float plane. While there may be some logging roads in the vicinity, there is not any possibility of road access from an urban area to anywhere near the property. If you own your own boat or float plane, then getting there is relatively straight-forward. Otherwise there are water taxis and float plane charter companies that can provide transportation - for a fee of course.

float plane charter

Many other properties, although in a more populated area, are still water access properties. The Discovery Islands or further north in the Broughton Archipelago on the east side of Vancouver Island and Quatsino or Kyuquot  on the west side of Vancouver Island are examples of these types of properties. In these cases you can often drive to the nearest community and then use a public boat launch to travel by boat. Again there are charter options for all these properties.


Another important factor to keep in mind is that travelling to these properties will be weather-dependent. While coast regulars do get used to travelling in poor weather conditions, there are still days that even charter planes and water taxis can't run. If you are using personal transportation, the weather factor will also depend on the size and type of boat you are using.

Remote properties are enticing and appealing to many people, for many different reasons. It's important that logistics come into play when actually moving forward on purchasing a remote property, and a major consideration is how you will access the property.
It's a Coastal Lifestyle ... Live It!

Thursday 11 April 2019

BCO Coastal Gem: Owen Bay

In the heart of the Discovery Islands lies the recreation area known as Owen Bay. It is located on the south side of Sonora Island on Okisolo Channel, just above Hole in the Wall. Busby Island, sitting just off shore of Sonora Island, is often included when people are referring to the Owen Bay area.

Owen Bay has a long homesteader history; at one point it was a thriving coastal community of about 1200 people and home to a school and general store. It has evolved into a quiet, coastal vacation and recreation community with a small complement of full-time residents. There is evidence of this long history scattered throughout the area.

Owen Bay has a government dock and local road/trail access for the property owners.

There are several marine parks to enjoy within close proximity, in particular The Octopus Island Group Marine Park is only minutes away. 

Owen Bay offers a number of excellent features. The bay itself enjoys primarily south and west exposure and is one of the best-protected areas from wind throughout the region. At the head of the bay is a large tidal beach that extends for ¼ mile at low tide. There are two creeks, which enter the bay – one of which originates at Hyacinth Lake. Just outside of Owen Bay are the magnificent upper and lower rapids of Okisollo Channel – an awesome display of nature’s power and beauty.  

Traveling to Owen Bay by boat takes a little less than 1 hour from Campbell River and approximately 40 minutes from Heriot Bay on Quadra Island. During the summer months there is regular scheduled water taxi service to and from Campbell River. 

It's a Coastal Lifestyle ... Live It!

Thursday 4 April 2019

Time to Renew the Fishing Licences

April 1 is the designated date change for annual fishing licences in BC, both freshwater and saltwater.

Saltwater licences are required to harvest any marine life from salt water - fish, clams, oysters, prawns, crabs, etc. These are required by anyone who is wanting to fish or harvest, even children. There is no charge for children under the age of 16. Be aware of restrictions and quotas for the area you want to harvest in.

Freshwater licences are required to fish in the lakes and rivers of BC. Be aware that there are still restrictions on where and what you can catch and in some cases how you can fish (fly rod vs spin rod for example). A licence is not required for a child under the age of 16.

While may residents get an annual licence, you can always purchase a short term licence at any time throughout the year.

Click here for a Saltwater licence.

Click here for a Freshwater licence.

It's a Coastal Lifestyle ... Live It!