Thursday 12 December 2019

What Is That? Recreational, Rural and Remote Real Estate Terminology

Buying a remote, rural or recreational property is quite different from buying a municipal property. When talking about these properties, there are terms that we might think are common that in reality are not in most people's general vocabulary. Here are four things that get mentioned regularly in our office!

Perc Test: a percolation test is a test to determine how quickly fluid is absorbed by soil. This is done to determine if a septic system is possible, as good percolation is required for a leach field (to absorb liquids). Simply stated, these tests are done by digging a hole (usually by auger either hand or machine) to a specified depth and then filled with water to time how quickly they drain. Perc tests are required before a septic system can be installed and can tell you where, or even if, a septic system could go on the property.
a perc test pit 

Dug Well vs Drilled Well: A dug well is a well, generally 10-30ft deep, that is dug out by hand or by backhoe. It is generally lined to prevent collapse and has a large diameter. A drilled well is constructed by a drilling machine and can be as deep as required to reach water. Often it is only seen as a capped pipe on the surface.

drilled well cap

Survey pegs: It is generally easy to determine where the boundaries are on a city lot and city staff can come investigate when there is a dispute or discrepancy. But on rural or remote properties that are generally larger and less developed, it can be difficult to determine boundaries. If the property has been surveyed in the last 20 years or so, it should be possible to find what are called survey pegs. These are placed by the surveyor to mark corners, road crossings, etc on a property. With survey in hand, if you can find one pin you can then generally use measurements and compass directions (or the trusty GPS) to find the other boundary markers. On older properties that may have been surveyed 50-150 years ago, it is still possible to find markers but not as likely. Instead of the white pegs favoured by most surveyors today, these pegs are just as likely to be metal (making them harder to see in the west coast undergrowth).
typical modern, white survey peg

WETT inspection: Any home with a wood stove or fireplace will likely need this for an insurance provider. WETT stands for Wood Energy Technology Transfer and an inspection will be done for all wood burning appliances and fireplaces. Sometimes an insurance provider will accept one done previously (say by the previous owner for their insurance) but sometimes they want a new one done. Inspectors need to be WETT certified to be able to provide the report.

If you hear Ed or Shelley say something, or see something in one of our listings, that you aren't sure about - ask! Questions are always welcome.

It's a Coastal Lifestyle ... Live It!

No comments:

Post a Comment